Chronic Illness New Year's Goals

Many of us start a New Year with resolutions.  In the past, I’ve shied away from this practice, because I always fail at reaching my goals.  This year, I’m actually writing out my resolutions to make myself more accountable.

As I said on New Years Day, my goals are to eat a healthy diet and get back to Physical Therapy.  The Physical Therapy goal sounds easy, right?  All you must do is call the therapist’s office and schedule an appointment.  Oh, I wish it were that simple.  My last appointment was just prior to me weaning myself off of Topamax.  This process lasted 8 weeks, and made me sicker than I thought it would.

That 8 weeks led me into the holidays, and I still didn’t get back to therapy.  Every tiny bit of energy I had, was spent getting through the holiday season.  Also, my dizziness and nausea make me dread trying to work through these exercises.  All I feel like doing is being a couch potato.  But, I’m calling the therapist anyway.  Maybe, starting with just a few minutes at a time will work.  Building up my endurance will probably take time.

Changing what you eat isn’t too hard if you’re healthy.  But, when you have Mast Cell disorder, it’s super tough.  I have many foods that I can’t eat.  Eating them causes stomach upset or even anaphylaxis.  My goal this year is to cook and eat without, dairy, gluten and sugar.  This means I have to find recipes that don’t have these ingredients.

Chronic Illness New Year's Goals

Dropping sugar from my diet sounds very hard.  Any sudden, drastic changes in my diet lead to what some people call detoxification.  I know it causes something, because if I stop sugar completely, nausea will be severe.  This also happens if you would try to stop coffee cold-turkey; you would get a headache.

When I was pregnant and losing pregnancies because of anaphylaxis, my doctor told me to not try to limit sugar or any food that I was used to eating.  He didn’t want my body to go through any sudden changes during this very stressful time to my body.

So, my dietary changes will be gradual.  I’ve already begun cutting out gluten and dairy.  I use Stevia for sweeteners in my coffee.  But, there is much more to accomplish.  Losing weight is very important, since I’ve gained 20 pounds last year.  Because I can’t exercise, this will be very difficult.  My goal is to work in physical therapy to the point that I’m able to take a daily walk.

For those of you with Chronic illnesses, what are your New Year’s resolutions?  What steps will you try to take to achieve these goals?  I’d love to know how it works for you.

Disclosure:  I’m not a medical expert.  What helps me is not medical advice.  If you need medical help, please consult your personal physician.

@2017, copyright Lisa Ehrman

My Chronic Illness New Year’s Goals

10 thoughts on “My Chronic Illness New Year’s Goals

• January 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Thanks! I’ll need it! 🙂

• January 9, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Thank you for sharing, and best of luck on your goals! It’s definitely hard to set goals as a person with chronic illness. You want to still set them, but not make them so ambitious you’re doomed to fail. I am still figuring out my own limitations piece by piece.

• January 9, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Thank you, Kat. I feel for you as you figure out limitations, because chronic illness is ever-changing (at least with EDS). It seems that every day is different, and that can really limit what is possible. But, we keep trying and never give up! I pray that you will have a wonderful year 🙂

• January 9, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I’m going to be drinking fewer dark beverages. My teeth are staining from them!

• January 9, 2017 at 5:07 pm

That’s a good goal. I worry about that, too. But, I love my coffee too much. I hope you can be successful 🙂

• January 12, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Good luck with your goals! I don’t know if I could ever completely cut out sugar. I could last about a day without a treat. 🙂 I like your gradual approach though – going cold turkey doesn’t sound easy or fun.

Thanks for sharing your post at the #HomeMattersParty last week, hope you will link up again with us starting tomorrow (Friday!)

• January 12, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Thanks. Sugar will be the toughest to give up. I’ll cheat, I’m sure. Gradually, I’ll try to replace it with stevia, and other natural things.
      I love your Party, and will plan to be there tomorrow! Have a great upcoming weekend 🙂

• January 18, 2017 at 3:26 am

I’m going to try to be more active this year. I’ve been doing daily yoga since the beginning of December and am planning on continuing it throughout this year.

• January 18, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Being active is wonderful and exercise is my greatest need, too. I wish you all the best in keeping up exercise this year!