Chronic Illness

Sleep Study: Sleepy Time

Yesterday was a blur!  I spent all day in hospitals for testing.  In the early afternoon I had my first EMG tests.  These were a series of tests for muscle diseases.  They check the nerves that control the muscles by performing various tasks.


The longest set of tests were done by the technician.  A tens-unit was attached and the an electric probe would be placed on multiple places.  As I felt “shocks” the machine recorded waves of the muscle.  This recording is an Electromyograph and recorded about 30 minutes of my body being zapped.

Some of the places tested were uncomfortable and some were very painful.  The readings were then printed out and the doctor read them.  He found nothing in the first set of recordings that was abnormal.

Then the doctor completed the rest of the tests himself.  These were tests in which he placed needle electrodes into various muscles.  After he placed the needle, I was asked to contract the muscle in a certain way.  This was very painful, but only lasted a few seconds.  Some areas of the body were much more painful than others.  I spent a lot of time gritting my teeth.  I would have bit my lip, but it’s too sore from the lip biopsy.


When everything was finished, and the blood was wiped off of my legs, the doctor told me that my test results were normal.  This was great to know.  These tests rule out: muscle dystrophies, palsies and many other problems.  I have Small Fiber Neuropathy.  Even though the doctor believes that this is caused by Sjogren’s Syndrome in me, he wanted to rule out any other diseases that could be the cause.

The tests lasted longer than expected, so we quickly got the car and headed to the hospital near home for my scheduled sleep study.  We made it to the hospital with 20 minutes to spare.  We had skipped supper, because there was so little time to make the trip.  I had some crackers and a candy bar to eat.  That helped me to get my evening pills down.


I was exhausted and stressed when we arrived at the hospital.  It was 8pm and the waiting room was very unpleasant.  People were coughing and it smelled terrible.  I texted Hubby to ask for prayer.  I finally was taken to my private Sleep Study room around 9pm.  The technician was extremely nice and she got me hooked up to the machine around ten.

I hadn’t had time to get fresh pajamas, so I slept in a hospital gown that had over half of the snaps missing.  It was very glamorous!  At first the wires were very annoying, and the nasal testing contraption really was itchy.  After getting an extra blanket, I fell quickly to sleep.


During the night, the technician placed a cpap contraption on my face.  It didn’t bother me much, because I fell right back to sleep and only waked when she entered the room at 6AM.  The technician told me that I appeared to have sleep apnea from the tests.  I’ll need to see my doctor for the full results, soon.  I was able to go home and get a shower.  Getting all the electrode goop out of my hair felt good!  Now, it’s time to start Christmas shopping.  This should be quite a day!

Have you had an EMG or Sleep Study done?  How did you feel about it?  What were your results?

@2017, copyright Lisa Ehrman

CU - 6.99 PER BOX


  1. Debbie P

    I truly hope that some of these issues are going better for you.

    1. xaoti

      Thanks, Debbie! I have hope that the CPAP will help. It’s just taking a while for it to be ready for me to pick up. I can’t wait 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *